Woodycrest United Methodist Church was founded as a result of the death bed wish of Mrs. Elizabeth Worrell Jones, a Christian woman and believer in the Methodist Church. Her request was for the establishment of a Methodist Church and Sunday school in the Highbridge community of the Bronx.
It was only a short time after Mrs. Jones' death that the Reverend David W. Couch, a friend of the Jones family and the first pastor of the church, and the Reverend Jacob Price, pastor of the Washington Heights church, formed a church and Sunday School in a "moving picture" house at 966 Ogden Avenue, which was owned and operated by Mr. Jones. As a good Methodist, he did not operate the house on Sunday. At this location, the church was officially organized on October 10, 1910. However, "the moving picture" business did not earn enough and so it was later turned into a garage and repair shop. Years later this building became a part (south end) of Safeway on Ogden Avenue between 162nd and 163rd Streets.
The church was moved to another store at 1072 Ogden Avenue which was a "beer saloon". While there, lots were purchased at 166th Street and Nelson Avenue. Soon afterwards, plans were drafted for a new building and the church was finally erected. Today, through all of the ups and downs in our 100+ year history, that same building sits at this location and still serves as a place of worship, praise, service and thanksgiving. We are known as "the little church with a big heart" and we invite you to come and become a part of our amazing story!